Saturday, March 28, 2009

Happy Spring!

Oh boy! We sure look forward to the first day of spring here in Washington! Our family does Spring Baskets instead of Easter Baskets. We celebrate Easter without the nuisance of a stupid rabbit. We spend a lot of time & do activities centered around Christ and the resurrection. After all, He is the reason we celebrate Easter! This change in the way we celebrate is a fairly new tradition, about 3 or 4 years now.

On the eve of the first day of spring, we boil & decorate four dozen eggs. Then that night, Terry & I hide them, just like the Easter Bunny does. The squirrels know this and asked that we hide them good! The squirrels get so excited! That night, they all had a difficult time getting to sleep. Livvy said her tummy kept doing things like when she knew her dad was coming home from Japan. (Butterflies!) Instead of doing Easter Baskets, Terry & I put together their Spring Baskets and hide them as well. The girls love it! They are always the first ones to get "Easter Candy" and instead of an Easter dress, they get a Spring dress (or skirt). But since we have all been sick since the Tuesday before the first day of Spring, we don't have pictures of the skirts yet. That will have to wait another week or so. Stupid virus.

So I put together a slide show of the fun the squirrels had to welcome in the first day of spring!

2 comments:

Amber said...

so fun!! You were pretty sneaky with hiding those eggs! wow! Good Job on the afghan too! I'm impressed.

John and Laura said...

I forgot this tradition of yours. I love it! I think my girls would love it, too.

Get better! We want Livvy over to play this week.