Saturday, November 7, 2009

Meet Tommy's Wife....

Betsy!


Man was not meant to be alone.  Tommy just seemed so lonely sitting up there on my stereo, that I was persuaded to make him a wife.  I had fun making her, too!  But, then again, I have too much fun when it comes to crocheting.  These are Pilgrim Turkey's, & I wanted to make her look like a female pilgrim as much as my limited expertise would allow.   I actually had to think a bit on my own, though.  It was only mildly painful & my ears were blowing steam, but I'm happy with the results!


For the bonnet, I used the pattern from the yellow chick I made a couple of months ago.    To add a bit of detail, I hand tied a black ribbon bow & stitched it off center.  I left off the strings used to tie the bonnet under the chin.  It looked too busy with all of the feathers & collar.  

I made eyelashes for her and chose more feminine feather colors.  It wasn't until after I'd sewn on her feathers that I compared her to Tommy.  That's when I noticed that I had chosen 3 colors that were the same as his.  I had even placed them in the same places!  Funny, I think.  'Course, I'm easily amused.
Betsy's beak is slightly smaller (I don't really like the size of Tommy's) and I changed the wattle stitching for a different look.  I like it better.  It's the same one that I used on the turkey door hanger. 

The collar is where I had to just experiment for a few days to see what I liked.  I ended up using half double crochet stitches to make the shells. Then I needed something for her to "cover up" with.  Tommy has a vest.  I looked at girl pilgrim pictures and decided to do a shirt front.  So again, I experimented for a few days.  I ended up making armholes for her wings.  This way it doesn't look like something's just hanging in front.  I wanted to do a white front so that I could add black ribbon for embellishment.  Two hand tied bows did the trick!  I sewed the shirt on between her feathers & the back of her wings.  The collar is tied to the shirt front at the end shells.  So nothing will freely fall off.  I added the same stitches as her collar, to the bottom of the shirt.


Tommy is very happy with Betsy.  And do you know what?  Betsy knows that she's the luckiest turkey in the world!  
And they lived happily ever after!






   






No comments: