The bishop of our ward has issued a challenge to every family & member. The challenge is to read the Book of Mormon as a family and as individuals for 92 consecutive days, beginning June 1st. Terry & I were very excited to accept this challenge. We want to experience a "Change of Heart" by reading on our own, as well as a family. As we talked about it, we felt that we needed to focus on family scripture study. We've done this many times before, but when basketball season comes around, we just can't seem to remain consistant. Now that the season is over, we can repent.
For FHE last week, we made a tracking chart to help us keep track of our progress. Everyone chose their own strip of stickers to place on the chart for tracking daily personal scripture study. We then have "Smiley Face" stickers dedicated for tracking our daily family scripture study & prayer.
We all wanted some short term, as well as long term incentive rewards. This will help the squirrels to be more involved & especially to help remind & encourage Terry & I in "sticking" to the challenge. Although we've done great for the first 8 days, I'm sure we'll need encouragement before the 92 days is up! So as part of our FHE, we discussed some things we can do as we earn the reward.
These are some REWARDS that we came up with:
For every 14 consecutive "Smiley Face" stickers earned, the squirrels get to agree on a treat. For example: a slurpee from 7-11, favorite candy bar, one Dollar Tree item of their choice & so on.
For every 30 consecutive days of family scripture study earns them the choice of a popcorn/movie night, Wendy's Frosty, family bike ride/picnic, or a game night. I'm not too keen on the last choice. I sooooo don't like playing games!
For 92 consecutive days of family scripture study, they earn a choice of swimming at Bainbridge Island, book shopping at Barnes and Noble, Sk8 Town, Theater Movie, Ice Skating, Zoo, Science Center, Bremerton Water Park with Cold Stone (yummmmm!), or if we're in Utah at the time they can choose to hike up to Timpanogus Cave.
If we miss one day, we have to start counting the 14 consecutive days over again. So we will be gauranteed plenty of these rewards. Our plan is to make the 30 consecutive reward twice. The only way that they can earn the 92 day reward is to not miss one single day all summer!!! This is what we want!
Of course, the "Change of Heart" we have been promised will be the greatest reward!
4 comments:
You guys are awesome! I didn't even think to blog about this...good idea. I may copy you soon. :)
Hey Tif! I'm so glad you did this. Now I can keep up with you better. Your girls are beautiful and SO grown-up! I'm happy to see how well you are doing! LOVE YA!
Your long lost friend,
Rachel :)
Hey Tif! I love your blog. It is so cute. That reward system for reading scriptures is a great idea. You are the best!
Love your blog like rachel i can see the girls grow up more then just seeing them once or twice a year. You and your family are awesome. Love you all.
Post a Comment