Over the weekend, I was invited to attend a convert baptism of a 9 year old girl. As part of my invitation, I was to be giving the talk on both baptism & the Gift of the Holy Ghost. Thank Elders!! They called the night before while Terry & I were out to a movie for our anniversary celebration (14 years!!). The baptism was at 9 a.m. the next morning. I am so grateful for the internet & all the people who are willing to share their ideas on the websites!!! So, between various FHE lessons packets & the Gospel Principles book, I came up with a simple lesson to give to this beautiful girl. It was a very small crowd, which made the experience much more intimate & the loving Spirit was so strong! I had the girl come up to the chalkboard to help with the activity. It was amazing. I totally forgot about the other people in the room & it was just she & I and the Spirit. It was a wonderful experience. I love convert baptisms!!
I often give my family our FHE lessons from Sharing Times I've prepared for Primary. Since none of the squirrels could go to the baptism, I decided to type up the lesson & give it for FHE last night. They all could participate & enjoyed it. It took about 30 minutes from beginning to end, but everyone voiced their thoughts & questions. Remember, that's 4 squirrels! For those of you who could use an FHE lesson on Baptism and the Gift of the Holy Ghost, I've listed it below.
Baptism and The Gift of the Holy Ghost
Before the lesson, prepare the following:
Make a simple illustration (or find a picture) of a STAR, a HAND, a SUN, and a HOUSE. Make the following word strips & place under the corresponding picture: LSISTTAERN, HPARANYEDR, OSBEUYN, HSCORUIPTSUREES
GAK Pictures Needed
- 208 John the Baptist Baptizing Jesus
- 601 Baptism
- 602 The Gift of the Holy Ghost
- ??? Picture showing we hear the Holy Ghost with our hearts & mind
- 605 Young Boy Praying
- 313 Two Thousand Young Warriors
- 617 Search the Scriptures
- 608 Christ and Children from around the World
Lesson:
Put up GAK 208. Explain who the picture is about & what is happening. There are many reasons we need to be baptized. We are going to talk about just a few of them. Put up GAK 601. “Why must we be baptized?”
- For the remission of our sins.
- To become members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
- We must be baptized BEFORE we can receive the Gift of the Holy Ghost.
- To show obedience.
- To enter the Celestial Kingdom.
Jesus didn’t need to be baptized for the remission of his sins. He was perfect. But he did need to be baptized to show obedience.
Read Scripture: “And he commandeth all men that they must repent, and be baptized in his name, having perfect faith in the Holy One of Israel, or they cannot be saved in the kingdom of God.” (2 Nephi 9:23)
We need to be baptized for the remission of our sins. We also need to be baptized to become members of the church. We MUST be baptized to receive the Gift of the Holy Ghost. Put up GAK 602.
Everyone will be blessed to feel the Holy Ghost at various times throughout our lives. This is how we can come to know that the gospel is true & that the Book of Mormon is true. But not everyone can have the Holy Ghost as their CONSTANT companion, to guide them every day and help them choose the right. Once we are baptized for the remission of our sins and as members of the church, we are given a priesthood blessing for the Gift of the Holy Ghost.
The following ACTIVITY will help us know what we need to do to help us listen to the Holy Ghost & grow closer to Heavenly Father & Jesus Christ.
ACTIVITY
Make a simple illustration (or find a picture) of a STAR, a HAND, a SUN, and a HOUSE. Place the following word strips under the corresponding picture: LSISTTAERN, HPARANYEDR, OSBEUYN, HSCORUIPTSUREES
GAK Pictures Needed
- ??? Picture showing we hear the Holy Ghost with our hearts & mind
- 605 Young Boy Praying
- 313 Two Thousand Young Warriors (obey the commandments & parents with exactness & faith)
- 617 Search the Scriptures
- 608 Christ and Children from around the World
Invite family members to come up & cross out the letters that spell what the picture is (star, hand, sun, house). The letters that are left will tell them what they must do or use to have the influence of the Holy Ghost. Place the GAK Pictures over the illustrations that correspond with that word. Talk about each word & picture as you go along. Discuss how it can help us listen to the Holy Ghost & grow closer to Heavenly Father & Jesus Christ.
Read Thought: Listen to and heed promptings from the Holy Ghost! If we’re open to those spiritual impressions, the Lord will guide our live. We can trust him. He will open the right doors, at the right time, and in the right sequence. (Anne Osborn Poelman, The Simeon Solution [S.L.C.: Deseret Book Co., 1995], 54.)
Put up GAK 608. Bear testimony of the things discussed. Heavenly Father & Jesus love all the children & want us to return to them someday.
3 comments:
This is awesome, I will have to try it out at our FHE. Thanks
I will try it out this monday. Thanks you are the best.
You are SO awesome!
Post a Comment