Friday, June 13, 2008

Slobby Mom

As I was grocery shopping at Fred Meyer today, a lady came up next to me while I was looking at the hot dogs that were on sale. She said, "Excuse me! I know that as a mom (nodding to the youngest squirrel) you don't often have time for yourself (insert her eyeing every inch of my face, hair, & clothing). I'm a Mary Kay consultant and would love to give you the chance to spend time on yourself. Here's my card & give me a call anytime!"

My thoughts ran as she was saying this to me: "Boy, I really must look terrible! How rude of her to even approach me & say that I look terrible without coming right out & saying it! I don't even like wearing make up. I should hand her a Book of Mormon & tell her that she needs to be "saved". I wonder if she would have even approached me if it had been yesterday morning while I was shopping for apples in my pajamas & hadn't even washed my face, brushed my hair or my teeth?" At the end of her pitch, I just said thank you & tried to suppress a giggle. I couldn't believe how many things that came to my mind in that 15 seconds! I'm sure she thought I was delighted for her intrusion, when really I was just laughing at myself.

Does she even know how much money I save by NOT wearing make up more than once & week? Even then, I am scrubbing it off within the first 15 minutes of getting home from church. With all of the money I save, I can spend it on important things like bike helmets for our entire family & family outings that are much more rewarding than looking into the "mirror, mirror on the wall" & worrying if I look pretty enough for all. Good grief!!

My conclusion: I am a slobby mom. I love lounge pants & oversize shirts. I endulge in "pajama days" once in a while & do absolutely nothing around the house on these days. I am comfortable with how I look. I am a HAPPY slobby mom!!

So for all you mom's out there that are happy with being slobby, "Say No To Mary Kay!"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hooray for slobby moms!! We should start a club. :)

Tina said...

Well...there go your chances for the pink cadillac! :)

Anonymous said...

good job but your to nice.... she thinks she was realy helping you. you should have asked her who did your make up today... and watched her run to a mirror