Today was one of those days that I just wanted to skip church and stay home all by myself. That's 2 weeks in a row now that I've had this problem. However, I thought last week was bad. Nope, today was much, much worse. I finally dragged my carcass out of bed at about 9:30 this morning. But I couldn't stand the thoughts of taking my earplugs out. Yes, I sleep with earplugs because I have a "snore logger" for a husband. But I also crave solitude lately. No noise, no people, just isolation. Once I was ready for church, I reluctantly removed my ear plugs. Even the air was noisy.
Sacrament meeting seemed awfully noisy today. Babies screaming and squealing, parents shushing them. I made it through the passing of the Sacrament before I finally gave in and leaned forward with my elbows on my knees and my fingers pressing my ears shut. I could still hear the speaker, but the other noise lessened immensely. My mind began to wander, rather than focusing on the speaker. But I had to keep in touch with the speaker so that I could get up to accompany some families for a musical number between speakers.
As I sat at the piano, waiting for the families to finish filing up to the podium, one of the adults looked at me as she headed up the stairs. I smiled at her and she totally rolled her eyes, showing her disgruntled feelings at having to participate. Because of my lack of reverence, this action produced a bubbling giggle to erupt from deep within my belly! It surprised me and to me it sounded very loud. I had to turn my head to stifle it. I succeeded and once I looked at my music, only a couple of little bubbles escaped.
The families did a great job. A soon as they were finished, I returned to my seat and continued to fight those silly giggle bubbles! I totally get that people really just endure those kind of assignments; getting up to perform in sacrament meeting isn't something that people beg to do. And in this case, all members of the families were dragged into it. It just hit my giggle button right on target today, that's all. I still can't help smiling when thinking about it.
The remainder of the meeting, I resumed my ear plugging. And to keep from giggling anymore, I concentrated on how to come up with my own piano solo arrangement with a specific hymn. It's something I've always wanted to try, but haven't had the time to devote myself to. So I made notes on the hymn page (in pen. I didn't have a pencil), and someday, I will refer to them and try to develop that talent.
So I had Terry bring me home after Sacrament Meeting. I just couldn't take anymore church. Or rather, I don't think the people at church would be able to handle me today. So I made dinner and did the dishes to repent of my hairy-carry I had last night. That's another post.
And that's my story of "A Most Irreverent Mom". I'm sure nobody else EVER feels like that!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Oh, Tifany. I love your honesty! Hilarious about the giggle. Sorry I missed it (I was in the mother's room with my little screamer -- though she was asleep by that time).
I totally understand the ups and downs of church-enthusiasm. Sorry yours was down today. Not fun!
Can't wait to hear your new hymn arrangement. :)
NO!! NEVER! :) Just today i leaned over to ry and asked, "Is it me? or is this sacrament mtg taking wwwaayyyyyy too long??" ;) Me and church didn't mesh well today either. But i want the hairy carry fit story!!!!
Hey giggles!!! Too funny! I am happy that someone else can be distracted at times. You crack me up!!!
BTW... I can think of one person in our ward that totally loves to do Sacrament singing!!!
Post a Comment